Saturday, July 14, 2007

Kefalonia, Ionian Islands, Greece


A friend of mine says the photo above suits his idea of the Mediterranean.
I particularly like the fact that it looks as if this woman arrived at the beach solo on the dinghy. I believe she is contemplating the settings... this empty beach is a rare finding along Kefalonia's coast. The rolling hills protecting the small bay submerge smoothly into the Ionian Sea, providing the perfect shelter for tiny-baby-fish to learn the way their fins and gills work :).


Snorkeling in these waters is a real bliss. Repeatedly, I took consecutive deep breaths... descended... and schools of fish surrounded me, almost rubbing me. But only until a certain depth, after which they kept an eye on, waiting for my return. When snorkeling, one of the things that scares me the most is the same that draws me the most: it's the varying intensity of the BLUE. First and foremost, it mesmerizes me. After a while, I start to think about sharks, seeing shapes materialize out of the blue... literally :). In this particular beach, nonetheless, it took more than that and the usual feeling of cold before I decided to say farewell to my fins&gills new friends and come out of the water.

After a few minutes soaking in the sun, I realized I'd better jump into this wonderful sea once again, as this was one of the last days in Kefalonia...

6 comments:

Alexandros said...

Found such an empty beach along Kefalonia's coast a couple of miles north of Avithos just 500 m walking from the main road.

Pedro Ferrão Patrício said...

hummm... are you sure? :) this one had a road a litle parking space behind the bushes... tip: you can see a another Ionian island from this beach :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pedro!

Beatiful photos (as usual)!
I would like to request something to you: can you ilustrate your comments about the blue in the sea with some of your nice photos?

See you.

P.S.: I agree 100% that the first photo suits very well the idea of the Mediterranean (at least a good part of).

Pedro Ferrão Patrício said...

no wonder you agree :)
your request is my command! maybe next post :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pedro!

These pictures are great!
They impress a sense of belonging to a paradise in the viewers' mind.

See you.

Pedro Ferrão Patrício said...

Thanks, Zé!
Long time no see!
Hope everything's ok!